Saturday, June 23, 2012

I Don't Know What to Call This Recipe

This is my first formal attempt at a recipe post! Here we go!

So I was hungry and messing around in my host family's kitchen, and I ended up making a combo of Eggs in a Basket (aka Egg in the Hole, Toad in the Hole, etc.) and grilled cheese with tomatoes. This is not a recipe for that. It was delicious, but not very pretty. If I've learned anything from France and its food, it is that presentation is half the fun.

So I got this idea of making a French Toastish thing combined with an open faced grilled cheese with tomatoes. I absolutely love cooking, and this was really fun and really easy.

Ingredients:
Two pieces of sliced bread
One egg
A dash of milk
Two little tomatoes
Sprinkle cheese
Herbs de Provence

I started out with beating the egg in the bowl with milk. I wanted to add egg to this instead of just grilling with butter in attempt to be a little more healthy and to add some protein.




These tomatoes are delicious and strangely shaped.

After beating the egg and milk, I soaked the bread in the egg just like one would do for French toast.

I then continued to fry it in the pan until it was golden brown.

With the bread still in the pan, I added cheese, the tomatoes, and more cheese on top.


I wanted to just melt the cheese, but since it wasn't melting very quickly, I ended up flipping the whole piece over so the tomatoes and cheese were face down in the pan. I used a small pan, so this was really easy to do. It melted the cheese and fried the tomatoes a bit.

 I then added the Herbs de Provence, and viola! Easy and delicious.



This week has been a whirlwind of ending our first session of classes, trying to get over the cold of death that has fully circulated through our whole group, and France's national Fete de Musique. It was a wonderful night of over 20 stages all around Pau and thousands of people. There were marching bands, polka bands, drum circles, and more people than we've ever seen in Pau.

Today I have been cleaning and packing for our trip to Paris. We're leaving tomorrow and will be in Paris for three full days, and then a few friends and I have plans to leave for Barcelona for the weekend. I am very, very excited to see Paris, and to just travel without having to do homework or go to class. I'm not really sure how I am going to manage to blog about this week because we will be doing so much. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment