Tuesday, June 19, 2012

In the Mountains

I am currently avoiding studying for our last test of this session by writing this post. I am also drinking thé fruits rouges while eating biscottes with assorted cheeses. This is serving as a little snack before I undertake a made up recipe for tonight's dinner, and you best be sure I'll blog about it.

I've had a cold since Friday, and all I've been doing is going to class in the morning and coming home to sleep the rest of the day. I have to kick this thing before we leave for Paris next week, because the trip is going to be almost inhumanly busy and there's no way I could do it while infirm. Tomorrow I'll be going to the pharmacie to purchase some cold medicine called Humex, I haven't had time to go during open hours. Mostly everything here is closed from 12:30-2:30 for lunch. 

This weekend, despite being slightly sick, I refused to sit home. Our school had organized a group trip to the mountains, but three hours of hiking in 80 degree weather did not appeal to my friends and I. Renting a car is more our style, and by doing this we see more that is off the beaten path. Saturday we went to a little town called Lacommande for a wine festival they were having at the Masion de Jurançon. Jurançon wine is a very popular white wine made in Jurançon, which is just south of Pau. 



We had lots of fun driving through the tiny French towns along the way, and the countryside was absolutely beautiful. 





This church was really, really beautiful. 

It was truly a relaxing day of people watching, poetry, music, and enjoying the little town. 

Sunday we went straight into the heart of the Pyrénées Mountains to a beautiful town called Laruns. I am always so fascinated by how huge and beautiful mountains are, and I'm not used to them, not having ever lived near them. My face was basically plastered to the window the whole time we were driving. 


The overhanging clouds were so beautiful, and it was great because they cleared up later, so we could see everything. 




We found these cute horses with their baby, but we felt really bad because they were basically covered in flies. The flies there were insane, and we had a hard time enjoying our meal when we had to constantly keep them off our food. The worst part about have a cold is France is that the taste buds are not fully working. 

I have been experiencing my first tiny bout of homesickness, and not for Chicago, but for Minneapolis! I miss everyone and speaking English with everyone. Putting constant effort into language is tiring, but worth it. I can't help getting so excited for this fall, and I feel a bit guilty for looking so far ahead, considering where I am, but that's how I've always been. I struggle with enjoying the present because my attention likes to dwell on the past or on things to come. I am excited to have an apartment with my amazing friend Deanna. I'm excited for my last semester of classes, even though it's going to nearly kill me. I'm taking 19 credits, being a TA for one of my fabulous professors, and I want to audit Theatre literature, which is a weekend class. I do admit that I am cramming in everything that I want to do before it's too late, but I think it'll be worth it.  Then spring semester is student teaching! The location is still TBA, but some international locations are possible, which means more travels to blog about! 

Also, my soundtrack of this trip has been Birdy's new self-titled album. I love every song on this thing, so check it out! 


No comments:

Post a Comment