Sunday, July 8, 2012

A Week of Travel

This is a quick overview of the past two weeks!

This past week I have been in Paris, Andorra, and Barcelona, and they have all been completely amazing.

When we got to Paris it was pouring. We had to walk 20 min with our luggage in the rain to the hotel. Not the best start. We then took a rain-soaked tour of the Jardins du Luxembourg. This is where I saw my first glimpse of the Eiffel Tower. I only saw it for a second through the clouds, but it was amazing and I almost peed my pants. I think I started jumping up and down. After that we were (thankfully) cut loose and two of my friends and I started the journey towards a restaurant for dinner. We crossed the bridge over the Seine looking out towards Pont Nuef and I was literally speechless and couldn't breath. I have never had this kind of reaction to anything I've ever seen. The river was amazingly beautiful with the Parisian buildings and the Eiffel Tower peeking through the clouds and I just couldn't believe I was there. I honestly was emotionally moved and it was completely wonderful. I absolutely love Paris.



Traveling with a group proved to be taxing. We wasted so much time going everywhere because there were so many people, and no one really enjoyed being on someone else's schedule. I would love to go back and do Paris again, seeing what I would like to see. It was an amazing trip, but we were almost too tired to enjoy parts of it.

Paris was also full of Americans. I was not prepared for this, and when we went to dinner the first night and I heard English all around me it was the strangest feeling. It wasn't until we got to Carcassonne that I started hearing French again, and it was somehow a relief!

When we got back from Paris, we rented a car that same day and drove to Andorra, a tiny country between France and Spain. We got our passports stamped and drove through the gorgeous mountains.


After one night in Andorra, we drove the rest of the way down to Barcelona. We rented an apartment for two days and took the metro everywhere. It was very hot with really high humidity. We ate tapas and walked around this beautiful city.

 We visited Gaudi's Basílica i Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Família, and it was honestly the most beautiful building I've ever been in. 


We got to go to the top, and the view of Barcelona was awesome. 


Though we got to take an elevator to the top, we had to take the stairs down. Many flights of spiral stairs is not particularly my favorite. The Arc de Triomphe was like this also, and I am not a fan. 


I loved the architecture, atmosphere, and culture of Barcelona. I would definitely go back.



On the way back from Barcelona, we stopped for lunch in Carcassonne, which I have wanted to see forever. 

Though it was freezing, the castle was beautiful! 


After traveling through three countries in a week, coming back to Pau was strange. We started a new session of classes with new students and new teachers. I honestly just wanted to keep driving all around Europe instead of returning to the classroom. Classes this week were good, I've moved up from level 1 to level 3, and though it is way harder, I am happy that I'm making progress and being challenged. My motivation for homework and getting up early every day is slowly dwindling. With the 4th of July, and just seeing everyone's lake house pictures and stuff I sometimes miss the American summer that I'm not getting this year. I definitely think I'll have a different and better appreciation and understanding of America when I get back. The thought of asking for directions or ordering pizza without any stress seems so foreign to me now and I'm not sure how I'll feel when I can perfectly communicate with everyone again. I'm so excited about going to Michigan and starting the fall semester that it's getting a little hard to focus on school work. 

My aunt and cousin are coming to visit next weekend and I'm meeting them in Bordeaux. I am so excited to see them and to spend Bastille Day in one of the largest cities in France! 

Yesterday we had a group trip to the Basque Country of France. We stopped in the towns of Sauveterre de Béarn, St. Jean-Pied-de-Port, and Saint-Jean-de-Luz. 



All of the houses and buildings in the Basque Country generally are white with red shudders. They used to use ox blood for the shutters, but now they just use paint. 


We went to the beach in Saint-Jean-de-Luz and it was super relaxing and beautiful. I was too busy swimming and tanning to take any pictures of the beach, which I do regret. It was a nice little weekend trip. 




No comments:

Post a Comment