Saturday, December 10, 2011

Red Pandas

If you ask anyone in my family, they will tell you that I love cats. They will also tell you that whenever we see a fox, which is quite often, in our woody neighborhood I always say that I wish that I had a pet fox. They're adorable!
But alas, I have found better. A fellow from my brother floor at school posted the following clip on facebook tonight: 


I'm in love! Fox+cat=RED PANDA! I'd never even heard of these cute little guys, but here are a few facts, thanks to the ever useful wikipedia.


The red panda (Ailurus fulgens, or shining-cat), is a small arboreal mammal native to the eastern Himalayas and southwestern China.


The red panda has been classified as Vulnerable by IUCN because its population is estimated at fewer than 10,000 mature individuals. 


They are generally quiet except for some twittering and whistling communication sounds.


It has a “false thumb” that is an extension of the wrist bone. When descending a tree headfirst, the red panda rotates its ankle to control its descent, one of the few climbing species to do so.
They're so cute! 


Looks like I found what to put on my Christmas list! Too bad I couldn't bring it to school with me me. This is what I will really be asking for: 

BOOM. Awesomeness. 






No comments:

Post a Comment