Friday, December 16, 2011

Les Miserables

I had the great pleasure of going to see my favorite musical of all time, Les Mis, for the first time professionally on Wednesday. Here's a little review.
I wasn't sure what to expect going into this because I'd been listening to the original London cast soundtrack for the past year and a half, and there is no other Jean Valjean in my book besides Colm Wilkinson. He has the ultimate voice. However, J. Mark McVey, who has played the role of Jean Valjean over 3000 times, did phenomenally. His voice was a bit high for my taste, but he made up for this in vocal power. In my opinion, it was Fantine played by Betsy Morgan, who stole the show. She had an amazing voice even though she was a lot younger than I expected. She's also from Chicago, so she has that going for her. Eponine, a character who in general annoys me, was played by Chasten Harmon. She did a great job in On My Own, but the rest of the show was spotty for her voice. The most interesting thing of the night was my discovery that I had actually seen the actor who played Marius in previous shows in Illinois. Max Quinlan played Joseph at the Marriot Theatre, which I had grown up going to.
Overall, it was a show that left me feeling extremely blessed to see. Our rush tickets for $20 were great, and the night was an amazing end to a semester that was long and tiresome.
In nine short days I will be setting off for New York to visit my aunt and I am so excited to see the city. I can't believe I'll be going to the place were my favorite show, 30 Rock, takes place, where SNL is filmed. It's amazing. We might even go see something on Broadway, and the choices are currently between Wicked and Chicago. Taking pictures is probably what I'm most excited for. I'm such a city girl it's scary sometimes. And though Minneapolis is great (though tiny), I always find myself missing Chicago. My family has always been from Chicago since before anyone can remember. It's in my blood. I mean, just look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment