Friday, December 9, 2011

Islands and Dust

With today being the last day of classes, finals are really in full swing. I watched one of my very good friends graduate college this morning. Lots has been happening. 
Millions of people have gone through finals week, and yet, when the time rolls around again, it's all we ever talk about on Facebook. Of course this isn't a bad thing, and I'm sure I've posted about finals too, but let's take a little look at our perspective here. 
Right now, the big things that have my attention are finishing my Exegesis paper, finishing a classroom management plan, and studying for four major tests. The tasks seem daunting, but only when I ignore all perspectives but my own. 
This semester I had the pleasure of taking Systematic Theology 1. For all of you at home who do not attend the fine establishment of North Central University, it's basically a class where I learn what Pentecostals believe and why. For the majority of the semester, I didn't put much effort into the class. I was able to study the notes and get decent grades on the tests, so that's what I did. I regret this, but it's a lesson learned. Then one day, with about a month left of class, I started actually listening to the lecture and was fascinated. I was reminded that this was exactly why I chose to go to a school where I would not only be taught all I need in the area of academics, but where I would also be taught how to understand, synthesize, and share the Gospel. This is all of humanity's ultimate calling. 
Along with listening in class, I began to read the textbook last night. Today I stumbled upon not a great epiphany or discovery, but simply a Bible verse being explained. Isaiah 40:15 says,

Surely the nations are like a drop in a bucket; 
they are regarded as dust on the scales; 
he weighs the islands as though they were fine dust.

At the mention of an island, I instantly thought of Hawaii. Hawaii has the area of 10,931 square miles and its width is 1,422 miles. 
Now Hawaii obviously isn't the largest landmass on the planet, but the fact that this large, beautiful, breathtaking island is the size of dust to God is something that makes me stop and think. Having a God so big puts me more at ease about my little problems that won't matter much farther down the road, but at the same time it makes me feel overwhelmingly blessed that he would care for me so greatly when Hawaii is like a fleck of dust to him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment