Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Bookshelf DIY

So this is the first the many DIYs that I have taken on. I used this DIY, but I changed it a bit to fit my needs.

Materials:
Semi-boring bookshelf
Wallpaper of your liking
Spay adhesive
Scissors

Time required: about 20 minutes

The bookcase that I previously had was perfect for this because the shelves simply lay on pegs and are not permanently connected. The back of the shelf is also cardboard and not wood, which was good for the spray adhesive. I'm not sure how it would act with actual wood.

Before:
My silly cat ( with awkward devil eyes) insisted on helping me.

I found printed paper at Hobby Lobby that was already in sheets, so I didn't have to cut them at all. It worked out that two sheets covered the width of the shelf, so it worked out surprisingly well. I picked paper that was printed like sheet music, and since it was a repeating pattern, it would look like one long piece of music.

This paper was around 50 cents a page, so I bought seven sheets. I figured two for each shelf area and one to have just in case I messed up. 

So first I laid the shelf flat and removed the three pieces. I started from the bottom and sprayed adhesive down in the shape of the paper and carefully placed the paper on top. The tricky part was lining up the paper straight without letting it stick. I repeated this all the way to the top, lining up the paper so the music bars were continuous. When I reached the top I still had about 3 inches that was not covered, so I just cut my last piece of paper and glued it on. I used Elmer's spray adhesive, and it worked perfectly.

After: 

Without the shelves

 And with! 

 

I love the outcome of this DIY and it was really easy. The paper is a bit hard to see with lots of books on the shelf, but it's still great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment