Saturday, June 18, 2011

Some Baby Reflections

I was holding a baby at work today and feeding her a bottle when I noticed her eyes. Eyes are pretty fascinating to me in general, but really looking at a baby's eyes is incredible. They are constantly looking around and refocusing, trying to take in the huge world around them. From working with kids all the time, I have moved past viewing them as little people to viewing them as the masterful creations that they truly are. I mean look at this little cutie!

For my psychology class I've been reading about how different parts of the brain control different thing such as emotions, motivations, motor skills etc. The fact that amazes me is that the brain, the most complex thing ever known to anyone anywhere, can grow out of a microscopic egg. What amused me was how the explanation of how complicated the brain is actually strengthened by beliefs against evolution even though the book clearly stated it as fact. Only God could come up with the brain. Really. 

Call me strange, but I actually don't even think I have my mind quite wrapped around the fact that someday someone who will have thoughts, opinions, and dreams will grow inside me. The thought of that terrifies me, which at my present time in life is probably a good thing, but at the same time I could never imagine my life without having children someday. 

A friend of mine once told me that after having her first child she couldn't understand how mothers still don't believe in God after giving birth to a child, and I agree. God is in all the processes of our lives, but pregnancy is one where He is clearly seen the whole time. From the tummy growing to the hearing the heartbeat to seeing who this little thing will grow up to be, it really is a miracle. 

I love my job, and through out the day I go back and forth between "I can't wait to be a mom" to "Yes, I can" depending on the situation. And though loving other people's kids can be challenging when they yell at you, spit up on you multiple times, or injure you in various ways, I've also realized that for all I know, I might be the only one who has shown them any love that day. And I thank God for that opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment