Friday, May 25, 2012

les premiers jours en France

This will be brief because I want to take a nap.

The 8 hour flight was better than expected. I watched the Vow. I didn't sleep. Charles De Gaulle is freaking insane. If I wasn't with a group I'd of been royally screwed. A train and a bus to get to the terminal + you don't understand the signs = major stress. A nice lady helped us out. That was the last of the kindness for us.

I ordered water on the plane in French. It gave me confidence. Hours later that confidence was shattered. At first it was super interesting to hear people speak French everywhere. Then, when things actually need to get done, it's completely terrifying. Shopping is especially scary. I made a complete fool out myself yesterday at the mall when a lady asked me if I had their special card and I said yes. Then I walked straight into the gate that's in the grocery store that you need to scan your receipt in order to get out. I haven't gotten yelled at, so it hasn't been all that bad. People are generally apathetic and will not speak English to you no matter what, and for good reason. I'm sure I act the same in America. I'm in the lowest class at school, and I'm actually surprised I can understand so much for only taking one semester. Yesterday I felt really sorry for myself because lots of students can actually talk to people. If I had the opportunity to go home last night, I would have. Today is much better. I can get to school and back on the bus really easily, and it's becoming less awkward to never know what anyone is saying. I accidentally spelled an English word like a French word yesterday, so I think that's a good sign. Today I am feeling more confident and comfortable. It can only get better.

Pau is absolutely beautiful. My host mom was really excited to show me the mountains today, which finally have come out of the clouds a bit. Downtown is wonderful and is walking distance away. This weekend a group of us are going to San Sabastian, Spain for the long weekend, and I cannot wait to go to the beach. Here are some photos.









The view of the mountains from our balcony.













No comments:

Post a Comment