Friday, October 7, 2011

Human Obsession

When I feel empty I tend to try to find things to fill myself up with. I attempt to shove music, TV shows, books, and other hobbies into the uniquely shaped space that I should be letting God fill every day. The greatest and probably the most dangerous thing I try to force into that space is people and their roles in my life. This is not saying that I necessarily worship people that I know, but I do spend far too much of the time and thought on them that rightly belongs to God.
This is not a new experience for me and I have dealt with this many, many times, but it has been only recently that I started questioning why this happens. There will be seasons where no person can get between myself and God and then there will be times where literally everyone is standing between Him and I. Seasons happen and things change, and you can insert your typical mountain top and valley of death sermon here, blah, blah, blah. But why do we become obsessed with people? Why does it seem that people can capture our hearts in a stronger and quicker fashion than God can? Why do we give into people with much less hesitation than when we give into God?
There is a simple answer to this, which is that we are humans and that we give into what we want to do instead of what we know God wants us to, but why people? God is clearly superior to any human ever in existence, and yet when we are given the opportunity to spend time with God or our best friend, we most likely choose the less divine. Human interaction and interaction with God are quite different, and God obviously wants us to have fellowship and good relationships, but why does it get so out of hand?
My main theory concerning this issue is the fact that as humans we love what we see when we look at other humans, which happens to be the very image of God.
I recently read the book Captivating by Stasi and John Eldredge, and my favorite part of the book was the explanation of how men and woman received different traits of God in their creation. I think that many times we start believing we are simply these little humans roaming the Earth and that life is just time ticking by. We forget that we contain actual traits and qualities of God and that we were made in His image.
As humans we are simply made to seek God and be completely in love with Him. Sometimes laziness gets the best of us and we settle for the next best thing, which are the qualities of God in the people around us. We're drawn to God in others, but adoring the creation without acknowledging the Creator is like trying to turn on a lamp that isn't plugged in. No matter how many times you flip the switch the result remains the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment